Monday, August 23, 2010

Back to my roots.

Today was the day, it was the day that my redneck clothes line went back up!! Banning took it down a few months ago when we were cleaning our deck off in anticipation of having company in the back yard. Apparently to him it was an 'eye sore'. Ha! Maybe so, but nothing beats the smell of our sheets 'line dried'...so this morning the post was put back into the corner of the deck railing, bungee-cord secured it nicely =) and the line ran diagonally across the deck and secured under the eve of the house. As I type this my sheets are happily (can sheets have emotions?) flapping in the wind!

My childhood memories are full my mom hanging clothes on the line. And having 6 kids that's a lot of clothes. I long for the day that I can have traditional non redneck looking T-posts to secure a couple lines to. Funny, Banning didn't mind when I had one in the backyard of our first place, but now that traffic drives by and can see our undergarments on display I don't think he's too gungho on the idea. Go figure!

Another way I dove deep into my family roots was to can a several jars of pickled beets. Mmmmm the house smelled wonderful!! The beets were pulled fresh out of my mother in laws garden last night and the prep work/canning complete by 3:30 this afternoon. I look forward to tasting those sweet wonders in a few months.
Tonight I'll be cooking up a few of the bigger ones that we pulled. Cameron is very excited to try cooked beets. I hate to think of him not liking them, but I know my son and I know his taste buds...liking them is probably not going to happen. What I do appreciate is that my son is willing to try them. He's also looking forward to trying the greens. That will be a first for both of us as I've never had those myself, so I'm looking forward to that.
Hoping by the end of the week I'll be knee deep in preserving more foods. I think Dill Beans are next on the agenda....oh and possibly some sauerkraut =)!

2 comments:

  1. I am so impressed! I wish I were so brave.....canning intimidates me...but I DO love sheets right off the line..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't let it intimidate you! I love being able to feed my family fresh tasting foods in the winter that I've 'put up' myself. The Pressure Canner is a bit spooky for me and I'm only just getting into using it, but the boiling water bath is so simple!! Start out with jellies & fruits. Apple sauce is easy and so are peaches and pears! =)

    ReplyDelete