Monday, August 30, 2010

How much wood could a Wood Chuck chuck...

Clink clank clunk goes the dryer.

I'm trying to catch up on my laundry after two days of slacking in that department. Although I must give myself the benefit of the doubt there and blame the fact that we spent our weekend falling, pulling & piling logs for our firewood. A bit hard to do any laundry while your not home.

Banning taught me last weekend how to run the wench on our tractor and how to set a choker. It worked out exceptionally well for both of us. He could be busy in one area falling trees and removing the limbs while I was pulling the logs to a small landing site and piling them up to be cut and split into firewood later. I'm not sure how many women would feel this way, but it makes me feel useful that I can help my man with the wood. I used to hate sitting there watching him cut and split the wood so I could load it and stack it. We now have a wood splitter that his parents are good enough to share with us. I'm able to do so much more then stand there, now I can split the wood while he cuts and the whole process moves much quicker. Now that I can pull the longs with the tractor it moves even faster. Thank goodness he still trusts me enough to run that tractor! (But that's a story for another time for those who don't know it already lol.)

We almost literally dragged ourselves into the house last night. Our little guy is camping with my parents so we decided to make a full day of the firewood work. We cut, pulled and piled up those logs until it was dark enough that it really wasn't safe to do so then called it a night, it was almost 8 p.m. by this point. I knew we'd been working hard (getting up and down off the tractor to set and unset a choker is a pretty repetitive job) and Banning's face was covered in dirt. Well hello, he was the one tramping around the woods falling trees and delimbing them so I really wasn't surprised to see how filthy with dust he was. But I was surprised when I looked in the bathroom mirror and realized I was just as dirt riddled as him! Whew, that shower felt soooo good. And so did the bed that we crawled into last night.

No rest for the weary, he's at work today and I'm catching up on laundry and house work...we'll be back out cutting wood and getting gritty again next weekend, it's a necessary evil at our house.

2 comments:

  1. I grew up helping with wood. While I love turning on the switch now, I do miss wood heat and all the traditions it entails :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pepper,
    Thanks for the gardening website, I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete