Friday, August 27, 2010

Tangy cranberry goodness!

Today I've fished out the last of my frozen cranberries and canned cranberry sauce! Yum yum. My husband will eat this out of the jar like it's some kind of dessert, and he's not too far off in my opinion!

We are fortunate to live only a few hours away from the Washington coast. Some years back I found out that Ocean Spray owns cranberry bogs down there! That was it, I was on it! A friend and I took a road trip and ended up here: Cranberry Museum What a wonderful little place. Take yourself on a self guided walking tour during the month of October and you'll be able to watch the cranberry harvest. The gift shop is full of all sorts of goodies from cranberry soap, cranberry cookbooks, cranberry vine wreaths and low and behold fresh cranberries to purchase...by the pound!! I dove in and brought home a box!! It was a big box!! But the wonderful thing about cranberries is that they keep in the freezer...a long time! This worked out wonderful for me, I could make homemade cranberry sauce at my leisure!

We've made it a bi-annual trip (well almost, haven't been back in approx 3 yrs) but am going to set aside time this year to make that road trip happen again!

So, today I pulled the last few bags of those berries out and canned them up.
Cooking them down
a bit wrinkled from being frozen but that doesn't affect the taste at all
ready to add the lids and process
so nice when the water boils right away!

the end result...love the sound of lids 'popping'!!

I also have a recipe that I've made a few times in the fall. My husband has taken it to work and shared it with 'the guys' and they all make requests for it lol. It's a orange/cranberry bread and it's fabulous. You can find the recipe here: Taste of Home - Orange Cranberry Bread let me know if you try it!! Oh, and I highly recommend using a food processor to chop the cranberries if you have one.

No comments:

Post a Comment