Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Recollections...

I'm not sure what it is about this time of year but it makes me nostalgic for some reason. Maybe it's the harvesting of the garden and canning that my parents used to do. The crisp mornings, last of the sleeping in before the dreaded start of the school year. Yet, there was also much anticipation in that too. Our middle school used to post a class list on the front doors a week or two before school started and we'd eagerly ride down there with our parents and see who our teacher was and which of our friends we'd be having class with. Or once we entered high school and suffered the anxiety of waiting for the mailman to bring the envelope that held our class schedule. Ugh, talk about misery! I miss those days looking back on them now.

There are many things I miss from my childhood. Including the days of walking barefoot in the garden, hiding in the rows of the tall corn and digging my toes into the cool rich soil. Pulling carrots out to munch on after just a quick rinse of the garden hose....those carrots had the sweetest flavor!

Mom spent hours in the kitchen cutting and canning pears and peaches for the winter months. When the season was over the shelf in the cold dank cellar would be filled with the goodness of those fruits.

My mother in laws garden went crazy this year! Last year it was such a big disappointment that we were both so discouraged, but at the same time very determined that it would do better this year! Well, this spring I severely pulled muscles in my neck and was not able to help her plant or weed for most of the summer. Now it's rich and ready for the picking and I'm feeling guilty each time I receive the wonderful fresh vegetables that she labored over. But she's such a sharing person and I'm grateful for that to no end. AND I have vowed not to injure myself next spring and help her plant another bumper crop!

So on these mornings, while I'm sipping my coffee and planning a day of preserving fruits & veggies for my family I'm also counting down the days until my son starts his first year of full days at school. Then I smile as I remember a childhood that wasn't always easy but provided me with happy memories that I'm able to share with him.
Salsa 2009


No comments:

Post a Comment